Open call release | Not applicable series
Following the success of Cream Athens’ inaugural 2019 edition, we are delighted to announce our third release entitled N/A or Not Applicable.
'Not applicable' stands for the appreciation of value, that is currently not focused in the spotlight of society’s attention. The objective is to challenge our daily lives and create conversations on the things that are supposed to free us but end up enslaving us. We live in an era where the need to do things quickly doesn't allow us to pause and reflect. We search for instant gratification, ending up loosing control to first line actions and reactions. Our attention is switched, reducing our efficiency and skills, making us unable to concentrate on one thing at a time.
Artists are invited to explore various ways of presenting different views and challenging current norms on topics such as ethics, beliefs, consumption, sustainability, social inclusion and equality, politics and more. We are searching for artists that don't blend in and works that interrupt our impulsive behaviours and suggest new approaches or bring back traditional ways of working that have been faded during the years.
We welcome artists to submit work as well as a workshop proposal (not mandatory) to share knowledge and inspire new audiences. The selected artists will have the opportunity to exhibit in Central London this summer and host paid workshop/s in a variety of audiences. Submissions will be consciously selected by a jury of prominent art professionals.
With a proven track record, all of our artists from previous exhibitions have experienced further nominations, award-wins or solo-exhibitions off the back of their participation. As Cream Athens expands, we will see the 2020 program as a core element of strengthening our ties with the UK and embracing our transnational origins which proudly positions us at the cross-section of contemporary visual art practices.
We are looking forward hearing your voice and perception on the norms you want to challenge.
- All national and international artists evidencing a reputable and committed artistic career are invited to submit their work
- All two-dimensional and three-dimensional work is accepted, such as painting, drawing, photography, installation and sculpture.
- There is no limitation on how many projects or how many images per project you will submit. Please label your files as name_surname_title_year.jpg
- There are no restrictions on the dimensions of work submitted
- Work can be available for sale during the exhibition (not obligatory)
- Exhibition and workshops will take place in Central London this summer
- Selected artists will be informed if they were successful via mail on March 30, 2020
Commission and fees
- Cream Athens works on a non-profit basis. This is why we do not take any commission from the sales during the exhibition. Earnings from all artwork sales will go 100% towards the artists
- Artists will get paid to host the proposed workshop/s during the exhibition
- A small contribution fee of £20 (VAT included) will be asked at the final stage of the application process. The respective funds will be used to include prestigious art professionals in the process and will thus foster the exhibition’s scope further within the creative industry. Please note that the fee is per artist and not per artwork.
- Cream Athens is responsible for the curation and organisation of the exhibition and workshops, print materials, marketing and promotion.
How to apply
Applications close on Sunday March 15, 2020 at 12PM GMT time.
If you encounter any issues with the application process, please contact: email@example.com.
Thank you in advance for your application and we wish you the best of luck!